Freelance Outreach Heritage Co-Ordinator
Head4Arts is seeking a Freelance Outreach Heritage Co-ordinator for the “Exhibition in a Box” project.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all backgrounds. Applications can be received in English or Welsh
“Exhibition in a Box” is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund
Exhibition in a Box” is a portable, multi-sensory resource that explores the theme of silence in connection to the First World War. “Exhibition in a Box” will be accompanied by a workshop facilitated by a heritage specialist and a team of artists who will help participants further their understanding of the impact of the conflict. Each participant will be supported to produce a creative response to “Exhibition in a Box” that explores their connections to the past.
“Exhibition in a Box” will contain objects designed to stimulate discussion and spark imagination about the different types of silence connected to WW1, such as silence as an act of remembrance, silence as a form of protection, silence as a consequence of trauma and silence of dissent. The objects will be carefully chosen to promote curiosity, encouraging participants to fully explore each item to unlock their full meaning.
“Exhibition in a Box” will combine some of the local stories and creative material that has previously been collected by Head4Arts during the four-year commemoration of the First World War along with primary resources donated by heritage organisations and groups.
Up to twenty community groups from across the South East Wales Valleys region will engage with the “Exhibition in a Box” project during Autumn 2018. The “Exhibition in a Box” project will be delivered in four traditional heritage venues and will be taken to community groups in their usual setting. The creative work produced by participants will be exhibited at end of project sharing events and will be available online in a digital format to help others learn about the impact of the First World War.
Description: Freelance Heritage Outreach Co-ordinator: Exhibition in a Box
Location: Various venues within the eastern heads of the valleys area (covering the county borough’s of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil and Torfaen)
Duration: September 2018 – March 2019
Scope/Fee: £ 4,000 (inclusive of travel, materials and VAT, if applicable)
The commission includes:
1.Co-ordinating the historical content of “Exhibition in a Box”:
- Co-ordinating the “working group” of heritage professionals who have agreed to contribute items to the resource – including organising and chairing meetings and keeping all partners informed throughout the process.
- Identifying community heritage groups across the region who may wish to contribute to the resource and support them to be involved in the process.
- Working with the Head4Arts team to advise on the presentation of the box and its historical accuracy.
- Assisting with the collation and production of content to integrate with augmented reality.
2. Facilitating workshops based on WW1 heritage:
- Accompanying 12 participant groups on research trips to heritage venues across the region (Winding House Museum, Cyfarthfa Castle Museum & Art Gallery, Gwent Archives and Big Pit) and visiting 8 participant groups in community settings.
- Researching the era and liaising with staff from heritage venues listed above to ensure that sessions are historically accurate and appropriate
- Delivering 20 heritage sessions using the Exhibition in a Box as the stimulus for discussion, debate and learning about WW1 history.
- Working in collaboration with arts facilitators to help them plan the creative element of the project
- Providing information that will assist with the preparation of publicity material, press and media releases
- Acting as the project “champion”, enthusing and encouraging participants
- Liaising with groups to agree an appropriate timescale for sessions, in collaboration with the Head4Arts Project Officer
- Work with Head4Arts Project Officer to suggest extension activities for interested community groups.
- Complying with all evaluation and registration processes required by the Head for Arts team
3. Developing an education pack and teaching notes:
- To create an education pack consisting of worksheets and suggested activities that could be delivered in classrooms / youth clubs to continue the learning connected to “Exhibition in a Box”
- To create a set of teaching notes that provide guidance on how to facilitate activity around “Exhibition in a Box” and use it as a resource to stimulate imagination and discussion about WW1 history.
- Where possible, the supporting materials created should link to the National Curriculum and key educational priorities.
- To ensure that supporting materials are available in both Welsh and English and are written in an accessible format.
- To ensure that all relevant logos are included on supporting materials
Individuals tendering for this commission must have:
- a passion for historical research and knowledge of WW1 history
- experience of working in a community arts and/or heritage context and facilitating outreach workshops for a range of participant groups
- excellent communication skills including the ability to engage new participants in the project and a willingness to work with “difficult to reach” groups
- an enthusiasm for bilingual practice and a strategy for working with both English and Welsh speaking groups
- a current DBS certificate & public liability insurance (£2,000,000)
- a full driving licence and access to their own transport OR a strategy for travel within the eastern heads of the valleys region
It would be desirable for consultants tendering for this commission:
- to have some knowledge of the Welsh language
- to have experience of facilitating collaborative community arts/ heritage projects
- experience of working in schools along with a working knowledge of the National Curriculum and key educational priorities.
The Freelance Heritage Co-ordinator will be responsible to the Project Officer, Head4Arts.
Letter of application outlining relevant experience (2 pages of A4 maximum)
CV with details of two referees
c/o Llanhilleth Miners Institute / Sefydliad Glowyr Llanhiledd
Abertillery / Abertyleri
Deadline for applications: 10th October 2018
Shortlisted applicants will be called for interview on Thursday 18th October